Saturday, October 2, 2010

Roots

I left South Africa feeling slightly sad, but mostly unsettled. I didn't feel like leaving. I've been given an opportunity to realise my dream of being a foreign correspondent, and I almost gave it up.

But here I am, & I enjoy being back. But yet, there's a lingering sense of feeling disconnected. I feel rootless. And that's what was urging me to stay in SA. Roots. I have a wonderful group of friends here, but with most of them being expats, it's all so transient. I feel like a water lily floating downstream with other water-lilies.
At home, I'm part of a solid tree, with strong branches. Here we are all saplings.

I do love Cairo though, & value my experiences & the friendships made here.

So, a quick diary version of my time here thus far.

Tuesday morning:  Arrived in Cairo at 6:15 It was hot. Last year this time was much cooler. I had arranged an airport pick-up from the ho(s)tel I booked at. {I wanted to be independent & decided not to ask friends if I could stay with them while looking for an apartment.} Got to the hotel at 8am, was told I could only check in at noon. And immediately felt like crying. I was tired & still feeling I'd made a mistake by returning. But I pulled myself together. Surfed the net looking for apartments to view. Received an email from a friend asking what time I'm arriving, inviting me to dinner. When I responded & mentioned I'm at a hostel, he & his wife immediately offered for me to stay with them. Since the hotel was not what I thought it would be, I gladly accepted. No point being stupidly independent.

Hit the streets, met estate agents, started my apartment search. Spent the afternoon with one of my best friends, catching up. We then joined the others for dinner at an Indian restaurant. Good food, good company made it a wonderful first day back. Collected my bags from hotel, & spent the night chatting to my hosts. (They're a delightful young couple whom my previous flatmate & I met through a mutual friend. They then became friends with our group of friends, & we all love them)

Wednesday: Spent the day looking at apartments. It was 39 degrees. Walking in the heat didn't feel too bad though. In the evening, I attended a Chopin concert at the Pyramids. With jazz and rock interpretations, and modern dance, it was a lively, cultured event. The lit backdrop of the Pyramids inspired wondrous awe.

Thursday: More apartment hunting. I was exhausted by the evening, & considered not attending another concert that night. I'm glad I went. It was awesome-urban rhythm Arabic/Spanish hip-hop.

Friday: We all woke up late, had a relaxed late brunch. M&S invited the crew for dinner. We later went to a nearby cafe for shisha, it was such a lovely chilled night.

Saturday (today) : I woke up very late, then hit the streets again. And saw 2 apartments I liked. Was going to take the second, but was slightly unsure. I prayed salaah, making dua I find a better apartment. A simsar (agent) then called me saying he has an apartment I could see. And so I went. And woohoo it's a lovely apartment nicely located in the area I wanted, with a view of the Pyramids!
I signed the contract, & so tomorrow I'll start settling in.

I'm feeling slightly apprehensive about my new job, but am also very excited.

Please remember me in your duas.

4 comments:

  1. Change always makes us want to cling to what we know. Your apartment sounds lovely. All the best and InshaAllah, you will settle back in quickly and this whole experience will be all that you have hoped for and more ;) (Ameen).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leaving home is always hard. Very hard. But you're pursuing your dreams and thats simply amazing. Cairo is a wonderous place and inshaAllah great things await you in the future :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Ahmed. Ameen :-)
    It is difficult to leave, yet when we are home, we get an itchy feet feeling.

    ReplyDelete